Symbols

Symbols of the Department of Internal Medicine

IM patch
The shield of the Department of Internal Medicine was designed by Stephen P. Pisoni, M.D., during 1983-84, the year he served the Department as Chief Resident.

The outline of the shield was taken from the shield inlaid in the foyer of Saint Louis University School of Medicine and is symbolic of the Department’s role in the School.

The book inscribed “MEDICINE” symbolizes the importance of study, learning, and knowledge to the specialty of internal medicine.

The fleur-de-lis is a heraldic flower nonexistent in nature. In the Middle Ages it was regarded as an emblem of illumination and an attribute of the Lord. It figures prominently in the heraldry of Saint Louis University and the city of St. Louis.

The cross is a reminder of the University’s Christian heritage.

100 years of Internal Medicine

This symbol with the words “100 Years of Excellence” was developed to celebrate the Centennial Celebration of the Department of Internal Medicine in 2011.  The department was established in 1911 with the appointment of its first director, Charles Hugh Neilson, M.D., and has served the city of St. Louis since that time through outstanding medical care, education and research.

 

© 1818 - 2013  SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY   |   Disclaimer