Professor of Internal Medicine
Departments of Internal Medicine and Molecular Microbiology & Immunology
Investigator: Liver Center, Saint Louis University, Midwest Regional Center of Excellence (MRCE) for Biodefense
University of Calcutta, India
Fellowship: University of Alabama at Birmingham
SYNOPSIS OF MY RESEARCH WORK
I have worked on various aspects of respiratory and hepatitis viruses for more than 25 years. Currently, I am focusing on hepatitis C virus (HCV) as a major area of my research. My laboratory was the first to report the pleotropic functions and oncogenic potential of HCV core protein. I worked in understanding host-virus interactions and HCV entry employing pseudotypes. My group has defined the role of glycosaminoglycans on hepatocytes as an attachment receptor of HCV. We have shown HCV genotype 1a growth in immortalized human hepatocytes, and for the first time demonstrated that HCV induces autophagy in infected hepatocytes. I have examined a number of immunological aspects of HCV, including innate and humoral immune responses, and dendritic cell maturation. I have conducted research on various basic aspects of HCV funded by NIH, and participated in a number of ancillary studies on multicenter initiated projects including: The Hepatitis C Antiviral Long-term Treatment against Cirrhosis (HALT-C, funded by NIDDK), Vaccine Development studies (funded by NIAID), and Midwest Regional Center of Excellence for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases Research (MRCE, funded by NIAID).
Recent Publications (Selected)
- Arup Banerjee, Budhaditya Mazumdar, Keith Meyer, Adrian M. Di Bisceglie, Ratna B. Ray, and Ranjit Ray. 2011. Transcriptional repression of C4 complement by hepatitis C virus proteins. J. Virol. 85, 4157–4166. PMCID: PMC3126272
- Budhaditya Mazumdar, Arup Banerjee, Keith Meyer, and Ranjit Ray. 2011. Hepatitis C virus E1 envelope glycoprotein interacts with apolipoproteins in facilitating entry into hepatocytes. Hepatology 54, 1149-1156, 2011. PMID:21735466 . [Selected and featured as a podcast in Hepatology journal and AASLD websites].
- Ranjit Ray. 2011. Perspective on Hepatitis C Virus: Progress toward development of a hepatitis C vaccine with broad shoulders. Science Translational Medicine 3, 39-41, 2011. PMID:21813753
- Keith Meyer, Arup Banerjee, Sharon E. Frey, Robert B. Belshe, and Ranjit Ray. 2011. A weak neutralizing antibody response to hepatitis C virus envelope glycoprotein enhances virus infection. PLoS ONE e23699:1-9, 2011. PMID:21887300
- Budhaditya Mazumdar, Hangeun Kim, Keith Meyer, Sandip K. Bose, Adrian M. Di Bisceglie, Ratna B. Ray, and Ranjit Ray. 2012. Hepatitis C virus proteins inhibit C3 complement production J. Virol. 86, 2221-2228. [Selected as a spotlight article of significant interest from the issue by the editors].
- Sandip K. Bose, Shubham Shrivastava, Keith Meyer, Ratna B. Ray, and Ranjit Ray. 2012. Hepatitis C virus activates mTOR/S6K1 signaling pathway in inhibiting IRS-1 function for insulin resistance. J. Virol. 86, 6315-6322.
- Hangeun Kim, Budhaditya Mazumdar, Sandip K. Bose, Keith Meyer, Adrian M. Di Bisceglie, Daniel F. Hoft, and Ranjit Ray. 2012. Hepatitis C virus mediated inhibition of cathepsin S increases invariant chain expression on hepatocyte surface. J. Virol. 86, 9919-9928, PMID: 22761382
- Budhaditya Mazumdar, Keith Meyer, and Ranjit Ray. 2012. N-terminal region of gelsolin induces apoptosis of activated hepatic stellate cells by a caspase-dependent mechanism PLOS ONE, 7 (8), e44461, 1-8.
- Sandip K. Bose, Keith Meyer, Adrian M. Di Bisceglie, Ratna B. Ray, and Ranjit Ray. 2012. Hepatitis C virus induces epithelial mesenchymal transition in primary human hepatocytes. J. Virol. (in press).